NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Well after many years of wanting to build my own OBHS heat exchanger i finally did.As i found out it was alot harder then i anticipated.After many designs in my head and on paper and after building 6 prototypes and testing.I setteled on one that i was really happy with.As i found out real soon copper is really expensive :( But the results are well worth it for me.The heat exchanger is made out of 2" copper tubbing and is 12" long and has 20' of tubbing inside the 2" tube.The water has to pass 3 times inside the 2" copper tube before it goes out to the shower head.That is only running the water thru the heat exchanger only once.I spliced the OBHS exchanger using the bottom hose coming out of the FJ heater.The OBHS exchanger heats supply water 59F up to 120F with the FJ at only 1500rpm.Still working on a flip up shower arm from my ARB bumper.Let me know what you guy's think

Views: 1795

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm interested in what was involved to move the canister. Any photos of the relocated canister detail?

X2

Why don't we meet, all the people interested in the shower thing, in some place to exchange ideas and show each other' system? I see there are at least 5 people here very interested in coming up with a good solution for water storage

Yes, I like that idea - I would be in - and would bring the beer.
Let's see if John will let us meet at his shop (Boztec). Maybe BBQ, beer and shower?

I hope it's not too far for paraextreme! I agree meeting at Bozly's would be ideal.

John says he is on board - lets see if we can set a time - maybe Sunday the 18th?

It's good for me, but "paraextreme" - can you join us? This is your thread after all ;)

Yes that would be awesome, maybe help,me finalize stuff on my setup
I'll call John tomorrow and see if its OK with him. Then we need to work out a time. This weekend is out for me and next Saturday I have plans with my son. Other than that I can meet any time - weekend or after work ( one more hour of daylight next week!)
Davey Crocket in Santa Rosa is also working on an OB shower. I saw the heat exchanger he built a few weeks ago. He also had one on his last vehicle, I'm sure he would be interested as well.
I can get better picture tomorrow probably

After I finish dinner I'll post up what I did to relocate it

Question N.1: is the charcoal canister necessary? I forgot the function but I remember this device is only found on cars sold in California or America. I would not be surprised if it's totally useless.

Question N.2: what is the other tank, the rounded one?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service