NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

1970 FJ40 in great condition with lots of upgrades. I bought this truck about five years ago from a good friend and did a lot of work to it thinking we would be going off roading a lot with the family. Turned out, we mostly cruised around town and bay area in it and did some very light off road trips, the rest of the time I was working on it in the garage(project/hobby). The paint was taken down to primer and bare metal and was repainted in a single stage 1970 Toyota Zypher blue. There was pretty much no rust at all when I got it but I sanded the under carriage and covered the bottom with POR-15 and underbody coating. The previous owner hand the 1F engine rebuilt by Toyota a couple of years before I bought it and it has approximately 24k miles on it and runs great. The transmission is a four speed SM420 with advanced adapter , and the rest of the driveline was upgraded about two years ago and has approximately three hundred miles on it. Below is the list of upgrades done and everything works great.

-Engine 1F - rebuilt by Toyota 24k miles ago.

-Transmission - Chevy SM420 in great shape

-Transfer case - Toyota

-4 wheel disk brakes

-Spring over axel (SOA)

-Like new Rancho 9-way adjustable shocks

-4.88 Yukon gears (done by Applegate garage 300 miles ago)

-Bobby Longfield 4340 fine spline chromoly axles and birfields all around (done by Applegate garage 300 miles ago). If you break an axle or Birfield, Bobby will send you a new one.

-Warn hubs rebuilt (done by Applegate garage 300 miles ago)

-ARB front and rear air lockers (rebuilt done by Applegate garage 300 miles ago)

-Saganaw power steering

-onboard mechanical air compressor with 5 gallon air tank

-dual fuel tanks with electronic switch over (~40 gallons total)

-custom family style roll cage

-heavy duty bumpers front and rear with swing out tire carrier and basket in rear

-Acura RSX front seats(excellent shape) with driver side under seat storage and Confer rear bench seat(under seat storage).

-Smittybuilt center console with cup holders and Sony marine stereo(new)

-dual batteries with Blue Sea automatic smart charging relay/isolator (batteries are on a tender) Primary battery is a Optima red top, accessory battery is a DieHard Platinum II group 34 Marine battery. Batteries are as new.

-Warn 8274 8k pound winch with Masterpull 3/16 synthetic rope and 28k pound hook. Winch was rebuilt three years ago and works great. (never had to use it).

-New exhaust system (very quiet)

-Hard sides of the hardtop (not painted) never needed to use it as this was a summer toy for us.

-Couple of Bimini tops

-Custom built rear rack with offroad lights

-Extenal guages and light and accessory switch panel on passenger side.
and probably a bunch more stuff that I'm forgetting...

Only bad: Need to replace front leaf springs especially the passenger side (I have all four springs but have not had the time to do it). A few wires to clean up. Tires have plenty of treat but are old and loose air after a month+ sitting around, and finally the brake shoes will need to be replaced.

We just don't use the FJ40 as much as I wanted to so it just sits in the garage. I built this Cruiser to be as heavy duty as possible. It will go anywhere and in low gear you can get out of the FJ and watch it crawl all by itself. I'm looking to sell it or possibly trade it for another toy we can tow with our FJ Cruiser. This 40 has at least $20Kof work done to it. I'd sell it for $15k OBO or trade for an Arima 17' Ranger, 16' toy hauler(something lite) or a Polaris RZR S/XP. 

Just after paint job:

8274 Winch and Masterpull Synthetic 18k pound winch line

Custom rear rack with camping lights (right, left, rear controlled on passenger side switch panel). Lights run off the marine accessory battery so you can drain the battery and still be able to start the Cruiser off of the primary battery).

New hubs and seals

Interior

Views: 929

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL, I am blessed.

If you like getting looks, "thumbs ups" everywhere you go, and crowds gathering around your rig, then this is for you.  Be prepared to answer lots of questions and tell kids "no I can't take you with me"

I know the feeling with my FJ40

bump 4 you and I shared on facebook    sad you are selling it, Bro :(

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service