NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hello All,

I've seen this thread on other forums, looks like fun...I'll get it started.

I drove my rig to work (first time I've had it out in a few weeks).  Took it in for a wash..

Views: 14585

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should get a handle cover for that open tubing or you will hear some loud wind noises coming from there at speed. 

I would get a weather cover too. Rain can sure mess up a good hi-lift.

I keep my Hi-Lift in the garage unless I know I'm going wheeling. They rust pretty easily, even with a careful paint job.

Rain .... that's that thing that happens in other places, where water just starts falling out of the sky, right? Glad we don't have to deal with that around here!! :)

I plan on only using it when I am offroading. A cover does sound like a great idea though.

I'm sure dust doesn't help much either. Probably a good idea to have regardless. I've just seen so many people keep their Hi-Lifts on all the time and they are pretty rusted.

I keep mine on all the time and I use it more than I ever thought I would. Always nice to have just in case.. it is rusty but I have that weather cover on it and I sand it down and repaint it every now and then. It has never failed me though!

how do you lock it to your rig?

I don't haha, I just have a grade 8 19mm nut on it that is tight as hell. I almost want to challenge someone to try and unscrew it, I even have a hard time doing it sometimes! My thought process is that if someone is driving around or walking around with the right size socket and is strong enough to take it off, then what is going to stop them from breaking into the truck and stealing everything else that is valuable inside?

But on another note, I've heard of people using a bike lock, either the U or cable, and feeding it through the holes and around the rack. That would probably be a cheap version, or buying locking nuts that need a special key. 

Hi-Lift makes a lock bracket for twenty bucks.

Ha, that's all mine cost, $20 used, but I did use body color paint I had lying around too, so $22 !!!

I have 1/2-13 studs welded to my carrier and I double-nut  the Hi-Lift so it cant vibrate loose. and as LumbaJak said, anyone carrying a 3/4 wrench or socket, will break in anyway.

I only carry my Hi-Lift when I know I am going off-road, likewise my compressor for air-downs.

If I get a flat on the street, the factory jack works fine on hard pavement.

Steve Hope.

Quick update to my gas door install. I bought the billet aluminum black on black locking door and I found the stainless screw that anchors the door was too short. I had to use a hex-head 1/4-20 X 1 inch bolt.

I emailed the company and happily can tell you all what a great service they are. I asked for a longer Stainless screw and it showed up in the mail the NEXT DAY !!!

That is service. I hope they add that longer screw to the kit for future buyers.

Here is the door installed:

Steve.

Attachments:

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service