NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

For most of you here the answer is obvious.
I am also wondering if I should get a lift soon or not.
Therefore, before I decide I would like to learn more, especially about consequences and disadventages of a lift, which are usually not discussed...

For example, I realize that it is almost impossible to park in most parking structures with additional 3-4". I have just learned that it may be impossible to change a flat tire (unless using a hi-jack, which requires new bumpers). Are there any other things I should be aware of ? Any faster wear of car components ? Lower gas mileage ?

Views: 84

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

standard I believe 3" in the front and 2.5" in the rear for leveling .... or it may be reversed any way you'll look and feel better being tall
Everyone chimed in nicely you have lotsa new friends!!
Lift or not lift, jacking up the rear does not make any difference, because you use the axle as a jacking point, at least with the standard Toyota "bottle" jack. Even in the front, I did not have any problem with the standard jack
parking garages, creates a problem..changing tires, dont need new bumpers to use a hi lift jack..."faster" wear, not always just because of the lift....lower gas milage, gas milage is effected more by tire size..
One really shouldn't use a Hi-Lift to change a tire unless you have to. The bottle jack is safer to use alone or you use a combonation of the two, The hi-lift to jack and the bottle jack as a jackstand (still sketchy) but safer then a Hi-lift by itself.

However unless you have sliders or a aftermarket bumper there is no place to use a Hi-lift on a stock FJ without using the wheel mate add on and even then you can't change a tire.

Show me a photo of where you can use a Hi-lift on a stock FJ without causing damage, and I'll change my mind.
if you're a daredevil you can get both the rears up with the trailer hitch =0
that would be fun to watch when it slips out like it's lubed with astroglide.
BHAHAHAHAHAHA That would be something to see!!!
Keep in mind potential mods needed after a lift and larger tires. For example UCAs, body chops and differential drops. Once you alter what the Toyota Engineers designed you often have to make other adjustments. I have heard (not from experience) that a spacer lift is not a good idea so I would research that if you're considering it.
I have the OME 3" (2 1/2") lift and I love the way it handles on and off the road, but now I'm spending another $400+ for the UCAs because of the road wander. Then I wait to see if the 285 tires rub. Fun stuff though, huh?
285 shouldn't rub which shoes are you looking at?
Depends which brand. Some rub, some don't, not to mention factory tolerance from rig to rig.
Some rub after a UCA upgrade.
I have the same lift and i havent needed the UCAs done.... I have 33's and no rub

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service