NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Ok, I know I keep asking for help with tires, but everytime I do research, I get confused.

I've decided on the tire I want (Nitto Terra Grappler), but I don't know about the size or other specifications.

I originally wanted to stay with stock 265/70R17 (just for gas mileage driving between school and home, saving a bit of money on the tires, and being able to use my spare). Then some people are telling me to go up to 285/70R17 (since I have a 2.5" lift). But I was looking at Total Chaos and their 3.5" long tracel lift recommended a tire size of 285. So what's confusing me is why would a larger lift recommend that tire size and people are telling me I can fit the same size on a smaller lift (I don't really know how to explain how I'm confused).

Also, people are telling me for the load rating to go with D, but a tire guy told me I could stick with a passenger tire. I have passenger tires on now and they haven't failed me yet. The passenger Nitto's have a bit less of a weight rating, but higher speed rating than that of the E rated Nitto's (can't find D).

I'm looking on TireBuyer.com and this is the info I have obtained:

[LT=light truck tire, P=passenger tire, L&S=load & speed rating]

265/70R17
LT  -- L&S: 121R (3,197 lbs / 106 mph) -- $179.19/tire (x4 = $716.76)
P -- L&S: 113S (2,536 lbs / 112 mph) -- $129.23/tire (x4 = $516.76)

285/70R17
LT -- L&S: 126R (3,750 lbs / 106 mph) -- $204.19/tire (x4 = $816.76)
P -- L&S: 117S (2,833 lbs / 112 mph) -- $180.59 (x4 = $722.36)

So, which is the best tire that I should get? Remember, I need to know if the 285 size will still fit (and keep decent wheel travel) and I'm looking to keep the price low.

Views: 128

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Woo Hoo! Traction 4U! I'm interested in whether you have any rubbing on the body mount?
I hope not... I kept asking around and people were saying it should fit. I called Revtek and asked if their 2.5" front spacers would allow for the 285 size and they said it should.

IF I do, then someone is gonna need to help me with a body mount chop.
those are Daystar spacers by the way.....
Dammit, you told me Revtek. Well I checked Daystar's block kit specifications and it said 32" max. Isn't a 285 basically a 33"? If so then I guess I'm doing a body mount chop.
Clam down, I ran my ProComp Xterrains with those on my rig and 285 fit fine
Not sure why everyone is so worked up about running 285's. I had 285's on my truck for several months without any lift. I had no issues with rubbing at all.

At most it may touch your mud flap at full lock but that is not damaging anything. Just install the tires and see if you need to make any mods.
Ok ok. Sorry, I just really don't want to chop my body mount. But if they fit, then no worries.
Take it easy and remember to breath...... LOL
Anyway good luck in finding a tire shop that will understand what it's written on that page. I went three times to Les Schwabs even with those specs printed out and they always say it's impossible. Let me know if you find a good shop
Alessio, I go to Big O in Pleasant Hill they have always hooked me up!
Congrats! They'll look good on yellow. My brother has them in 305 and loves them. They have worn really well and seem to have really good traction for an all terrain. I've gone back and forth about getting them as a next set of tires but they don't come in 305/70/16 so they're not practical when I add in the price of 5 new wheels LOL...

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service