NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hi I use these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-1-inch-x-15-ft-ratcheting-tie-...

To hold down the box of camping gear, firewood, and the cooler. I just connect the hooks on the FJ.

The problem is that I would like to have "carabiners" instead of the hooks that can easily slip off when the tie-downs are released. I have not seen anything like that unfortunately; I was thinking to buy some carabiners and cut the original hooks with a grinder.

Any comment on this idea?

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That would be better than trying to get the hooks to hold on the rings while you try to tighten up the ratchet.

And if the hooks aren't welded back to themselves you could just bend them open or, cut the webbing and re sew a loop in the end.
The hooks are welded. Do you think it's easy and 'safe' to re-saw the webbing? I've never done something like that.

Also, the straps are MUCH too long, so I wanted to cut a bit the excess. Do you think I can cut it cleanly with a good pair of scissors? I have doubts... what can I use? Maybe a hot blade of some sort?
I cut a se down a bit and then used a lighter to burn the edges to keep it from fraying
Yes, also. Now my problem is where to find cheap carabiners that are good enough but not as expensive as climbing gear.
Try a surplus supply store, I know Stevens Creek Surplus in San Jose has tons of options.
Ace Hardware
A boat canvass maker could cut them and sew the loops as well.

As long as you're not using it to lift people, safety isn't really a factor either...

...well, unless you use them to tie Monica down or something...
Oh my !!
This forum is full of interesting ideas! Tonight...
Don't forget to take pics !! hehehehehe
Mountaingear.com
They are like 4 bucks each and they come right to your house, besides, real ones look a lot cooler than hardware store ones.

Gotta have good looking gear for the pics!!!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service