NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hi all

As some of you know, I'm on the Rubithon committee for TLCA, and have been involved with it for a farily long time.

I was talking to Tony Twiddy (chairman) and we are trying to figure out if there is interest in a FJ Cruiser run this year.

As some may remember there was one in 2007 when the Trail Teams were around, and that was a great run. We don't have the Trail Teams, but we do have some of you who have done Rubithon before.

Is there anyone interested in LEADING an FJ Cruiser run? Someone that has done the trail a couple of times (at least once IN an FJ Cruiser) and would feel comfortable guiding a group in?

We were thinking of a Wednesday run or Thursday run after the bigger groups leave (1 PM Thursday).

let me know -- you can either PM me, or email me direct - rosswoody@earthlink.net

Thanks!

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Count me in, never been there but want to do the run for sure.
Once again I have spoken too soon, after researching (looking at the picture on this thread) I am now a maybe.  Looks like full skids are a must have on this run and maybe a Slickrock practice run.
Slickrock would be a good trail to evaluate your skills as I learned last time. I would like to finish Slickrock, Deer Valley, Strawberry and maybe a few other trails first before attempting Rubicon. Although I would be interested riding along with someone to learn.
I am possibly interested.  What suspension/tires are needed to do this in a FJC?

The Trail teams did it "stock" with 3" lift. I would say the biggest tires you can, with the biggest lift you can. I'm running 285/75/16 (33"-34") with a "puck" lift (BDS)... it's about a 2" lift. I think that was the general set up for 2007, maybe some had 305/75/17 (34?)

I'm currently set to bring my FJ40 on the double locker run on Wednesday. I'm not in a position to lead this run as I have kitchen duties, and must be in camp Friday. And I'm not quite ready to accept the damage, especially since I have the FJ40.

You will get need to expect some damage. It happens to the best of us. The more armor you have, the better.

let me also say, however, that NO ONE should try to tackle the Rubicon as one of their first off road trails. You need to know the vehicle, and have experience with it, know it inside and out, and know how to finesse your vehicle. You MUST have a spotter with you, and that spotter needs to be someone who has spotted both you and an FJ Cruiser before. This is not a run you do the first time out. Period.

Rubicon Trail is actually a fairly easy hiking trail as well. If you've never been, it's something to consider, and have someone else haul your food drinks. There are a couple of guys that run with the FJ80 wagon group that walk the trail and provide spotting duties, which helps the group.

i agree and would go even further to say that it is a challenge even for experienced drivers. i know of at least five FJCs that have experienced sheet metal damage and the drivers all were experienced. the saying goes, if you go into it expecting damage, you'll be in a better mind set. that being said, spare parts should be packed and you should know, or have someone with you that does know, how to do spot repairs. you won't make too many friends blocking the trail.

on a side note, if we do get an FJC group together, i am planning to film and write an article about the run.

"sheet metal damage" and punched out windows...

Your FJ can look like this too, courtesy of the Rubicon Trail.

photo of/by RayGates

That'll buff right out ;)

This is why I still drive the 40, and not the FJ Cruiser

That's a mighty fine color on that 40!   Love the white bezel.

Almost looks like the driver side mirror is holding you up.

This is what can happen when you dont take your time in looking at the situation.  Ha ha but it was fun doing it.  The first two years no damage on the Rubicon.  Just have to take your time and not get too rushed by all the other drivers on the trail.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service