NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hey i'm at the bar right now posting from my phome so pardon if it's not completely to the point; i will clear that up tomorow!

Anyway, i have the pro comp 6" coilover lift (5.5" really). I have been readimg lots of threads on the fjcruiserforum.com about removing the sway bar, even for highway use, to allow more travel off road. Is this something i should consider/try? Also would that mean i would need limit straps, and if not why should i ever consider them? And finally, are my uac's fine with this kit? Thanks for any advice this forum has been awesome so far amd i hope to hit some trails asap with this group :)

Views: 53

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been running w/o my front sway bar for a bit but yes you and I and Vince need Limit straps in a big way.... I've been nice since I've removed the sway bar but should get either the disconnect sway bar or run limit straps UCA, would be a wise choice
Yeah, my sway bar is back in my truck. It feels so much better this way for normal driving
Removing the sway bars will allow your suspension to travel more, a good thing off road. At the same time you will have to be a little more cautious on road, removing (or disconnecting) will loosen up your suspension and cause 'sway' or lean while making some turns depending on your speed. I have run without sway bars on several trucks and have had no problems, but like I said you may have to adjust the way you drive on road. You will not need limiting straps, your suspension even without the sway bars will only go so far. Limiting straps won't be needend until you mod your suspension for long travel, just a 6" lift dosen't do that.
The biggest problem with the stock upper control arms and some suspensions systems is how much the upper control arm is angled down in relation to the lift. This can cause it UAC to rub on the coil over itself. Not al systems will have this happen. I believe you can also get a better alignment out of the front with aftermarket UAC's.

The main reason for wanting limit straps is so the Half shaft will not pull out of the Front axel. I have never seen this happen but perhaps if you get the truck at the right angle and have the wheel truned to the stops, maybe it could happen. I tend to agree that limit straps may not be needed. But I believe they are not to expensive so getting a set for insurance might not be a bad idea.

2007FJ has a real nice sway-bar disconnect that is SWEET !!!!! I woudl look at his set up because hands down its the best that I have seen. There are pics on this site somewhere. Potato and I believe Pit nd C4B have this set up and maybe they will post a pic..

Boss
The only issue I see removing the sway bar with your set up is the 6" lift. The higher center of gravity with the 6" lift in combination with no sway bar could feel very squirly on road. If this is you DD, I'd keep it on. I've ran without sway bar with a 3" lift and was not comfortable knowing that if I had to make a quick maneuver on the highway, I'd be screwed. Not to mention, my wife drives my rig so I had that to consider. That being said, I've got a sway bar disconnect from Mark (screen name: 2007fj) so I can have the best of both worlds. It's not a big deal to remove the sway bar and give it a try. BTW, consider removing the front sway bar and leave the rear in. The rear flexes much more than the front, and your liable to lose a spring if you disco the rear.

Limit straps = yes with your set up.

Picture shows, on this rig my 94 Toy, no sway bars front or rear, no limiting straps, never had any breakage, bending or half shafts pull out. The FJ's suspension is the same set up with the exception of leafs in the back rather than coils (stock) This obstical is on the Long Canyon Trail , aka Mushroom Rock.

Shocks won't allow the suspension to drop far enough to ever pull the half shafts or springs out. Not with the stock set up, and the lift makes no difference on how far the suspension drops, front or rear.

I wouldn't use limiting straps on IFS. Strait axels with long ( after market coils ) or a 4 link set up yes. For the purpose of keeping your drive shafts and steering from pulling out / breaking

The FJ as it sits, doesn't have those issues. Although limiting straps may look cool, they won't really serve any purpose.

You can take your sway bars off, front and rear and check the drop in your garage or driveway before you even hit the trail.....you will need a high lift jack or something similar to raise your truck and observe the suspension as it drops.

Whatever you try and do, good luck. My rig is currently under construction and will be happy to demonstrate when its complete.
The use of limit straps on the front are intended to keep the cv's from binding and keeping the UCA from contacting the coil. People with OME (old man emu) suspensions and stock UCAs tend to have this issue. People with spacers, especially top load spacers have this issue. Icons don't have this issue since they've got internal limiters. I;ve seen all these applications first hand. Depending on the type, lifts on the FJ do effect droop.

I've never disco'd the rear, but have read (and also understand the logic) that without the rear swaybar, the spring can get un-seated from the bucket under full flex, not necessarily fall out.

I might not be seeing the problem, this rig here has no bars or straps. I have had coils unseat, but that isn't any big deal. They tend to float when the suspension is dropped all the way. (rear)

Anyway it will be fun to experiment with this issue.
Example of UCA's hitting the coil with OME setup. Limiting straps or aftermarket UCA's would resolve this. If aftermarket UCA's are used, the OME shocks would probably wear pre-maturely if limiting straps aren't used since the shock would become the limiting factor.

I see the problem now, thanks for that info and photo. And you are right, the shocks will wear prematurely and possibly bend, been there done that. If you use an after market uca, for long travel you would be defeating your purpose if you use limiting straps...limiting that long travel.

I am not completly against straps for this type of suspension, but I am for pushing the limits that it is or can be capable of. This presents a challenge to modify beyond just the normal bolt on applications.

An easy but costly solution, cut it all off and go SAS :)
Dude, I'm with you...I'd go SAS if this wasn't the DD and if I had the coin.
okay where do you get limiting straps and if I you do ending up getting disco sways how much???

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service