NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

So my FJ was at Toyota for a front/rear diff gasket replacement due to fluid leakage and after the parts have been received by Toyota they opend up the 3rd member and pumkin to get the gaskets in and they found my ring/pinion had 3 busted teeths and the pinion had chips so after speaking with the Toyota adviser he told me all work will be WARRANTED.. :-) Lucky I did not blow my gears on the trails and this had been found while at the dealers hand. I went to Toyota to look at the rear and got out of the elevator and found the FJ all apart.. I was like wow wish I already had 4:56 gears so they can swap it, it was nice of C/T to show me how the gears look and let me take pictures and the following is a pic of the rear gears that got busted.

UPDATE 9-23-09
Went to Toyota to drop off new front wheel spacers and the new 3rd member came in and alread been installed just waiting for other parts to be put back togeth. Picture of new 3rd member is below and a.s I have notice that the rear lockers have been replaced. :-) whoo hoo...

(UPDATE 9-17-09)
Spoke with the Toyota adviser and said that my FJ will not be ready till Sept 25th.. :-( due to the 3rd member that is coming from the East Coast. Good thing they gave me a loner last Friday and been driving a Prius it was fun driving it but I went in and picked up a V8 4x4 4Runner for my trip this weekend...

The newrrear end:

Views: 67

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WOW !! That pretty good.. But man whne I was racing you shoudl have seen what thoses ring gears would look like.. Its amazing how much gear can accutally be gone and it would still work... Good thing it was all covered!!!
I'm happy that it got covered, and the gears probably broke awhile and just never notices it till they open the pumkin..
Its crazy how teeth can break and it still seems to be working just fine !!!

Man you should have see the stuff I had to put on the track because of lack of parts..... I would cross my fingers every time they would go by Start/Finish... Some of them looked as if someone had ground down all the teeth on the pinion.. Some how its still worked !! ... Crazy man I tell ya just crazy...
Yea was surprised that I was still driving normal like not happened to the gears.
I'm trying to remember if you have a Manual or Automatic.

There is a known issue that on the auto's that there was a run of gears that were not harden correctly and had a tendency to shear or break.

I haven't read of any issues with the M/T gear sets yet.
Resty has a AT Slushbox
I have the AT, and I thought that I had the new gears but I guess not. My FJ was built on Feb, 07 and from what I heard is that the once that had the issue was the FJ's built in 06.
Welcome to the "My diff broke and was replaced under warranty" club!
Yeah but yours went POP !!!!

Thats normally a more fun way to do it !!! ! J/K LOL
oh man....:-P but mine still busted thought...lol
Sawwwweeeeet! Thanks for the welcome. So are going to make stickers for the "WARRANTED BUSTED FJ GEARS"...HEHEHEHE:-D
I got about 45,000+

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service