NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

So my '13 FJ is still about 3-4 weeks out but i already have a mod list i will be doing pretty much right off the bat and i am seeking opinions and advice. I am getting the offroad and convenience package. 

Usage plans include general trails,some desert, ohv parks and occasional snow and sand no serious rock crawling yet though. 

I am pretty much a newb to offroading with the exception of some stock fun at hollister,tahoe and panoche hills area in my 2000 tacoma and 2001 xterra over a decade ago.

i will have approx $6g to play with.So here's my current list

Suspension:

Metaltech/icon long travel kit with

• 58645/58647 - Icon 2.5 Extended Travel Coilovers
  • MT-GSJ-4175 - Metal Tech Long Travel Rear Suspension Kit
  • MT-GSJ-4025 - Metal Tech 4x4 Offset Lower Links

And front  UCA's (undecided on weather to go with TC or Icon on these)

Skids and sliders:

Budbuilt  4 piece skids with rear diff skid

Budbuilt  sliders (undecided between HREW standard or throw in the extra $150 for the DOM HD sliders)

Wheels and tires:

I plan on going 16in have not decided weather to go steel or alloy (looking at black rock yumas)

Tires 285/75r16 either Goodyear duratrac's or  MT/R K's (not sure if i really need the MT on an allrounder but the sure look the part!)

Misc items:

Hilift 48in,liftemate & jack mate (Plan on interior mounting of tools using qucik fists etc. no plans for roof rack at this time)

ARB snatch,extension,snatch block (for planned winch) ,tree saver and 4 D shackles

Tow hitch d ring adapter block

Some 3/8in chain

Shovel,axe,bow saw(All probably fiskars)

TRD  air filter

Fire extinguisher 

I Already have a tool kit  and basic first aid kit that ride with me.

Radio gear:

Kenwood D710a  2m/440 and a Uniden 680 or 980SSB CB 

Larsen 2m/440 antenna NMO roof mount and Firestick on Boztec mount.

And that pretty much wipes out  $6,000 + radios

A few months down the road once i can save up another 2-$2500 i plan on an expo one front bumper,warn  M8000 and 2 KC slim lights.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks

Views: 761

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOL now you just jerking my chain i'm really an asshole.

Whatever i end up doing it will be put to use from the get go. I am a buy once cry once kind of guy i want to get the best bang for my buck it has taken me months and months to save the money up in anticipation of my purchase of the FJ. Like i said even if i do drop all the 6g at once i will still only be at the MSRP of a trail teams.

If your ready to drop that kind of money on modifications, I would say straight axle it. That will outperform every single modification that you have listed!  If your going to spend all that money on ifs parts you could spend  a little more on a straight axle and outperform everyone with an ifs out there! Its a big leap but if you do it you'll never regret it!

Wow i really don't think i need to sas it. the $1000 i would spend on Icon front coilovers will come nowhere near covering a built axle,leafs,struts,bars let alone the fab costs and it's a little bit above my current ambitions for sure. 

Another way to look at this is with my low  locked in price on my '13 manual with offroad and convenience package plus the 6 grand i will be at the trail teams msrp minus tax and license. so i could either buy a appearance package  or spend it on functional personalized upgrades. I choose the latter.

If you have the funds, go for it. But starting slow might be better so you can really narrow down exactly what you need / want.

I personally started with trail armor so I would be protected while learning the FJ's capabilities. Then got tires and a lift. Now I just add cool things here and there since all the major mods I wanted are complete.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i may just start with all the armor ( which i do see as necessary trail insurance) and recovery gear and leave off the suspension but i really want to do tires and if i do tires i want 16in and the the money saved on 16 tires vs 17in  should be close to paying for my wheels plus i could dump the oem 17's for some cash.

WIll 33in tires clear ok at stock height? I know i may encounter body mount rub either way.

If I had the money I would get a Road Armor front Stealth bumper with Titan guard like my wife's, dual Optima batteries to run a 20" and four 10" Rigid Industries led light bars (two 10" up front and two in the rear) mounted on a Gobi Stealth roof rack. I would also suggest Bushwacker fender flares like mine. Don't forget the Springtail MPAC rear door rack and pet barrier which is perfect to carry more gear. Many have made drawer systems for the back too.

I'm with B2. I normally prefer baja style bumpers, but I love that road armor bumper. That price is ridiculous!

I think getting the basic armor, and running it through a few trails before going full tilt on mods will make you appreciate your mods a lot more.

Thanks for the input guys!

I was planning on doing bumper and lighting down the road and not right off the bat . Thanks for the info on the road armor i will keep that in mind currently i am strongly considering an expedition one bumper.

I have slept on everybody's advice and  i will head it and forget the suspension for a little while and just set the cash aside ($2700) to do it down the road. Thanks for talking some sense into me. All armor and recovery gear is still a go.

I am still looking for input on 285/75r16 33in tire fitment on stock suspension and also if the extra $150 for the DOM budbuilt sliders is worth it or if the HREW would serve me well in the long term.  Thanks

I ran 285/75/17 33in on my stock suspension and it had a slight rub on the mud flaps, but nothing major.  I mostly felt the rub on tight U-turns.

Correction: 285/70/17 33in

On both the front and rear flaps?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service