NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.  I had been nagging my wife for a new FJ for a long time and she finally let me buy a 2012 TT a couple of weeks ago for my birthday.  I told her it would be our family adventure vehicle.  Have been watching lots of you tube videos lately with my kids and we can't wait to try some to those stuff we see.  Of course, no extreme off-roading just yet.  I'm still trying to figure when I will use Atrac, R diff lock and the works.  I'm trying to see also where I can sign up for some instructions on off-roading.

I've always wanted to try to go off-roading in the past but never had a vehicle as capable as this.  Currently trying to research and buy recovery gear for now before we start venturing out.  I'll probably stay as close to stock as possible, but will most likely get some upgraded skids.  Have to get approval from the "moneyger" first.

We're here in the peninsula-South SF.  I hope to be able to meet up and join you on some trail runs in the future.  

One question I have for you guys and gals, do I have to wait for break-in before I take it off-road?  Still only have about 400 miles so far.  

Thanks,

Mike

Views: 429

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here's a link to the safety clinic:

www.espritdefour.com/clinic/

welcome aboard! hope to catch you on the trails or at a social sometime. your vehicle is quite capable as is, but keep in mind that if you do upgrade your skids, you may lose a little clearance due to the weight, which leads to the need to lift, and then...<insert mod bug here>. enjoy your ride!

Have been busy buying recovery gear this last 2 days.  So far, bought a 48" Hi Lift extreme, plus tube adapter, lift mate, base, holder, ARB shackles, tree strap, recovery strap, hitch shackle, axe, mounting equipment for the stock roof rack.  Will then buy shovel, and still debating on the skids.  I figure my novice side will likely get me stuck somewhere, so it's better to be ready.  Like you said, if I do the skids, do I then need a lift soon?  When does it end?  :-)

It ends as your bank balance approaches zero and you have to decide between the fuzzy dice and the cheeseburger.

Sounds like you'll be pulling jeeps out in no time! You will lose clearance like tater said. All skids reduce clearance in some areas, but some are higher than others. BUT even though you lose about 3/4" clearance, you gain solid protection to slide over rocks that would otherwise cripple your brand new components. Just be prepared for some extra very disconcerting clunking. :)
Welcome to the NorCal FJ site. The FJ does not have a break in period. When I first got my FJ which was 4 years ago, dealer said I didn't have to break it in so a month later I took her to Holister Hills. So I think it's time for you to join one of the trail runs and if you have any questions one of us will have the answer. Enjoy your FJ for what it's made for.
Thanks. Hope to learn from you guys out in the trails. I could only learn so much from watching videos, gotta start trying it out.

hey....congrats on a great looking FJ...you'll really enjoy all the fun you can have with it....i see you already have the 'mod' addiction lol...

Gotta take it easy on mods. Don't think the wife approves yet :-)

baby steps...my wife is the same way...when i put a 3" lift to put larger tires on my stock rims she was like "wow these new tires are taller because it's harder to get in the FJ now"........shhhhhhh.....ninja lol

lol...I don't know if I can keep a secret from my wife.

honestly tho...you have a very nice (and capable) FJ in the 2012 TT so you're not going to need much in the way of expensive mods until you want more ground clearance anyways so you should be good for a while...

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service