NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

ok the time has come for me to order my TT and i wanted to get a consensus on if i should get it in an auto or manual? what do you all think?

Views: 530

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you know how to drive a manual.  Get a manual. 

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. im still am going to have to think about it a little longer but when i get back from Iraq i will definitely be hitting some trails in it! and maybe coming to some meets as well.

I love my 6 speed ! 

If you get a 6sp you will have full time 4wd, unless this has changed in the newest models. with  the auto you can select to have the transfer case 2wd which is another reason the Auto get better MPG.

IMO Manual gives you more to do and think about on the trail and it also give you a better feel, once again IMO.

Auto is definetly easier on and off trail , as many if not all have stated.

Botoom line as PB said, its all down to what you like and want to dive cuz  your the one who is gong to be behind the wheel.  

Good luck !

Boss

Kind of late in the discussion, but I have the auto and I've has it for 64K miles. All of those 64K miles, I have been manually shifting it unless I really am not in the shifting mood, thus, down hill I down shift just like a manual. I have done all of the available computer hacks and love the fact that I can lock the rear end in 2wd, 4hi and 4lo along with also being able to to run the rear locked with the front posi'd. I like these options primarily because I can save gas more when on a run and not get stuck and still have quite the similar effect of manually shifting. I've always had manuals previously and love the options that I have now.
Take care in Iraq.

I love the 6-speed.  It works great on the trail and on the road.  Rain and snow makes it fun with the full-time transfer case.  1st gear is nice and tall so it works great on the trail.  My only complaint about the manual is the mpg drop.  A 2wd option on the transfer case would be nice to help the mpgs.

6 speed manual , more fun to drive !!!!!!!!!
Good luck with your dission you will be happy ether way your getting a amazing ride!!!!!!

My decision to go with the 6 speed manual was snow driving during ski season. Unlike the other Toyota Products which provide 4 wheel drive in high gearing, the automatic FJ is 4 wheel drive only in the low gearing so that it will require the use of chains under CHP R2 highway control. I have no idea why Toyota choose to limit the automatic FJ but it was a deal breaker for me.. 

My 2012 Automatic has H4, HIgh 4-wheel drive. 

It appears that my reasoning for not purchasing the 4 wheel drive automatic on the basis of snow driving was influenced by the dealer (who wanted to sell me a manual transmission FJ) rather than fact. I found my 2008 Owners Manual and it clearly states that the FJ automatic has both 2H and 4H available. I better hope that my wife never reads the owners manual or I am in trouble becasue she waanted to buy an automatic. Sorry for the mis-information but I was stupid enough to believe the dealer instaed of seeking the truth myself - maybe he knew I really wanted a manual transmission.

I waited 3 years to get a manual in my color of choice.

I really enjoy the smoothness of the 6 speed shifter. I was going to install a short shifter but never got around to it.

In 2008 it was difficult to locate a 6 speed FJ and it probably hasn't got any easier. In 2008 the rumor was that Toyota was considering dropping the 6 speed from the CA Market but it never happened. Now they just talk about dropping the FJ and hopefully that won't happen either.

My wife says, "Automatics are for rental cars."

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service