NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Trail Description

There is a trail that I travel several times each year and I am organizing a group run this year as I have done in the past. If you have been waiting for a “Newbee Run”, this is a good choice. The trail is not difficult, but there are three parts I would say were moderate and there are options to bypass two of those. The third obstacle is a short rock garden and there is no bypass on this one. I have done these on my own with my stock FJ a number of times and not had any problems. As on any trail, there is always risk of damage.

A map of the area can be found at the following website http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/eldorado/recreation/travel/index.shtml

The map is named “Placerville Ranger District Map - Side 2” (MVUMPlacervilleSide02.pdf) and the trail head coordinates are approximately: 38 45 N  120 15 W

After the Long Canyon Trail, there is another very easy trail nearby that has some very nice scenery called Cody 4wd trail. We can do that one as well as time and interest allows. Allow 6 to 8 hours of drive time round trip from Cameron Park and back.

It looks like 6/26 is the date.

Post if you are interested.

Trail Meeting Point and Directions:

Time: 9:00, leave at 9:15.

A good meeting point is the Safeway parking lot in Cameron Park. The address is actually Shingle Springs on most map software.

3380 Coach Ln, Shingle Springs, CA 95682

This should give us plenty of space and a place to pick up any last minute items.

The cheapest gas is at the ARCO-AM/PM off of the Cambridge exit in Cameron Park, or Costco in Folsom.

If you are running late and miss us, getting to the trail is easy.

Continue up Hwy 50 toward Tahoe, just past Kyburz (about 30 min. from Cameron Park) take a right on Silverfork Road

A few miles up Silverfork Road, just past mile marker 3, take a left on Long Canyon trail (dirt road). There is a sign on the right side of Silverfork road.

Communication:

CB - Ch 31

FRS - 7/31

HAM – Repeater for emergencies AG6AU, 147.8250, -600kHz offset, PL 82.5

HAM – General Communication – 145.550 PL 100, Simplex, to be verified on the trail

Mobile phones do not work well in the trail area.

Be prepared for changeable weather. 

05/11/10 Added China Flat Campground info, see attached file.

06/12/10 Since there are quite a few people signed up, the trip will take longer than the 8 hours previously stated.

06/18/10 In addition to China Flat Campground, There is also Silverfork Campground. I think Silverfork is the larger one.

The List:

1. Studovich
  2. Robert Frey
  3. PBn'FJ & DivnGirl (camping)
  4. Spoon
  5. BigFish
  6. A.J. Cruiser
  7. jr vong
  8. Jeff
  9. MoreFJland
  10. George Wagner
  11. Quadloco
  12. DWH

Views: 140

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can't wait to see them.
Long Canyon Trail Highlights.

Sorry had to compress it down to make the upload limits so quality was compromised.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service