NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Long story short:

I purchased used rear upper, lower, panhard bar, and new new rear springs to "match" my new set up.

The angle is now off on my drive line..I think.  Drive line vibration and strange noises are coming from the rear.  Because my driveline isn't "phased" is causing excessive wear and tear on all of my drive line componets.

Hopefully, after measuring the angle's on both the rear 3rd member face and transfer case face (where the driveline connects to) the angles can be brought within 0-4 degrees of each other.  If not, I need to get a new driveline with a CV added.  

I just thought I'd share.  

Views: 11

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Whoa! that shouldn't happen... do you think the inchworm may have something to do with it? It should be the same length as the stock transfer case, you may need to adjust the links in and out to get the axle clocked correctly.
The iw case isn't the issue it's the angle of the rear diff vs the angle of the t-case. The only change is the angle of the rear diff. I'm going to measure the angles and adjust the lenght of the rear uca. If I can't get th angles close I need to get a new drive shaft made or take off some of the parts we installed.

I added about 100-150 lbs in the rear to see if that helps as a test.
How high are you in the rear? Don't think the rear pinion angle would be an issue unless you're over 3.5". But if you are over that you'll need to adjust your rear links (assuming they're adjustable)
I'm over 3.5" inches, it's a long story but they are over. The rear uppers are adjustable. I'm hoping there's enough threads to get my in line.

I bought all of casper's stuff thinking that his set up would work. The problem I discovered is that he had more weight in his rear and that brought the angles into alignment.

My metal tech bumper is lighter than his kamar with swing out.

/Users/pkelly72/Desktop/IMG_3978.jpg
Rear pinion angle faces up 4 degrees, transfer case faces down 3 degree. They both need to be in the same direction within 0-4 degrees. I'll be adjusting the rear uppers tomorrow to see if I can get it closer to 0. I only have about 0.5" of thread though. It may not be enough but at least I can get it closer.

Otherwise it's: http://www.rmdriveline.com/

Anyone interested in working tomorrow? It should take about 1.5hrs. Location: Turlock, CA.
Thanks for the help Bz. I think it's fixed. The rear pinion is about 0 degrees.
Awesome news!

:) How long did it take you to type that with yer finger all busted up? :)

Hope it heals quick Bro!
It's still bleeding. I just hope I can sleep.
That is real good info pkelly, this is the first I've heard of it on an FJC.

Drive line vibe is real common on the lifted 80's since it is popular to go 4 to 6 inches of lift. You are def doing the right thing correcting the rear pinion angle with your rear links.
Thanks paul.

If you have adjustable links it's important that the angles are within 3-5 degrees. You can check this by:

1. Level vehicle
2. Measure rear pinion angle and transfer case angle
3. They should both be pointed in the same direction within about 5 degrees.
FYI. I will publish all parts later. All ucas and panhard are maf and rear springs are out of fjz-80 by ome

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service