NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hey, anybody ever go wheeling in Joshua Tree? I am heading there in Feb for a camping trip with some friends and saw they have some trails. I am wondering how technical they are and do I need skid plates
 for this area? I'm looking into Ricochet plates but may not have the $ for a full set. Any info would be appreciated!

Views: 27

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That area is easy wheeling. A stock truck would do great.

Excellent! Thank ya!

I agree with Sonof40, easy wheeling, only time you would have difficulty is in a hard rain where the trails wash out. Have fun!
Yeh, hopefully it won't be raining. Camping in the wet sucks!

There are a few trails that are pretty rocky but not difficult.  Here is a video of one, not in joshua tree proper but nearby (even though the title says joshua tree)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LflOHgDKe_8 

http://www.desertusa.com/video_pages/dale-rd_movie.html

The second video shows a map of where approximately it is.  I have done this in a stock ranger 4x4 with no issues. 

Cool, thanx Lance.  By the way, how do you like your skids? Easy install? I plan to get some Feb 1st.

I have mixed feelings about the skids.  I like the look of them and I think they are well made and will protect my under carriage for the type of wheeling I plan to do.  I like the lighter weight of the aluminum.  The issues I have are smallish.

1.  The originally shipped the wrong bolts which caused one to get stripped and stuck.  Boss helped me get in unstuck.

2.  They are sort of a pain to install because you have to keep the old stockers in place and trying to thread the "just long enough" bolts through both layers was a challenge (get a helper i did them alone and a helper would have, well, helped. :-))

3.  Gas tank skid does not fit.  If you look at the holes on the stocker it is about 2/3 of an inch in diameter the ricochet is a 1/3 of an inch.  The smaller hole requires a very percise bolt layout.  The bolts are attached to the straps which can be installed 1/8 this way or an 1/8 that way.  In my case the holes are of by 3/8.  Brad at ricochet says he has seen this and I just need to undo the straps and move them (not super keen on undoing my gas tank straps, might request some assistance from one of my more mechanically inclined norcalers for assistance on this one)

I got them anodized black and they were very well done.  I would get them again as there are not many aluminum alternatives now that Rasta does not ship to the US.  Brad has been helpful as he can and I am sure if Iived in Utah I could have driven over there and he would have helped me figure things out.

hope that helps confirm or confuse your decision :-)

Wrong bolts?!? Ok, I'll watch for that one...Not getting a gas tank skid yet so no need to worry about that so far. Hmmm. I think I'll still give 'em a try. Thanks!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service