NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hi Saturday I got stuck in the middle of the Black Rock Desert. I had to abandon the vehicle and walk back to the Trego hot springs with Monica to find help; luckily I was not too far, only 8 miles, and the wind was extremely strong.

The funny thing is that we were looking for our friends that got stranded, and to do so we got too close to the intermittent lake, and went 30 meters too far in the mud. The following day, after some trial and error, I unspooled my winch line, connected it to the rear of the vehicle, and pulled it off with another vehicle that was staying at a safe distance.

What an adventure. A friend took some pictures of the recovery, I will post them as soon as I get them.

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rule # 1 :

Never Wheel alone..

Glad you guys got out alright cuz we still need you around to make the Pizza,, LOL
We were together with some friends of course, we lost them for few seconds as we later discovered they had an electric problem. But the "playa" has absolutely no reference points, I don't know if you've been there but it's more like sailing a boat than driving a car.

Yes we can't wait to make pizza for everybody. I should get people counted.

Welcome to the club! :)
:)

Now that I think about, I noticed that, after the recovery, my front left mud flap has been damaged and the rear left "silver" bumper thing has disappeared...
I've been considering getting a Pull Pal because that's the one thing our group doesn't have. Glad you are better for the experience.
Oh Yeah, absolutely. When I got stuck the images of Bill Burke's video showing how to use it. I will probably get one, but that opens the next question, I may need to get a roof rack...
I'm still working on a design for a swing-down storage rack to fit under the rear (same area taken by the Man-A-Fre gas tank) before I buy the Pull Pal.
in a pinch you can bury the spare tire and strap up to that....
Well, of course I thought to that, but:
1) I never did it
2) the wind was so strong, the effort required would have been immense
3) as I was facing the mud, this technique required to winch at least twice to turn the car back to safe ground
4) I had no shovel and, even with one, working in that mud would have been HELL

For those reasons I felt like going back and looking for help was the best thing to do.
the conditions sucked for sure but, if miles and miles from no one....
Dont forget, club membership dues is $25/month, paid directly to me. Thanks! :)

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service