NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hello,

Bought my FJ in Sept. Just came across this forum recently. Still quite a few things I need to get but so far have added wheels, tires, OME and a Baja rack. I have taken a few off road trips, mono lake, death valley and joshua tree. Being out there solo has left me rattled a couple of times and would enjoy doing some group rides to get more experience. Thought about a roof top tent but I plan to mainly travel in the desert and I think the winds would be an issue so for now I plan to sleep on the roof or in the truck when the weather is bad. Will be buying some camping gear, building a sleeping platform in the back and most likely get a winch. Look forward to meeting and seeing some of of you on a group ride.

I am heading out to Nevada this weekend and do some exploring out there.

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If you like Nevada desert trips, keep an eye open over in the "blue room," http://www.fjcruiserforums.com

The Las Vegas FJ group has done a well planned ghost town/mine trip the past two years. They are great folks too. I jumped in half way through 2 years ago, and did the whole thing last year. This year they seem to be shooting for the end of August for the trip. They usually do it in June, but they want to hit Bodie on August 29, a night that Bodie will be open all night for night photographers to have fun.

Thanks! Great info. An overnighter at Bodie would be great.

Pierre, would enjoy heading back down to Death Valley but I am going to be short on time in March, Bet thats a great time of the year to be there. Anxious to hear your trip report when you get back.

Will do! I don't have much experience either but it seems that we have the same goal, being able to live out of the truck for extended period of time. I just added my dual battery system with a 2000w inverter. I also upgraded some cable to 0 gauge. Got my Cobra CB installed, Bull bar with extra light, fog light and additional drive light as well. I am working on my rock slider that i will install this Sunday.

I have been looking at the RTT and so far my choice is a Baja rack with a ARB III, for my budget it seems the best choice. If budget was not an issue, i'll probably go with the Maggiolina from Autohome :-)

Do you carry extra gas? If yes, what is you solution?

I wanted the Maggiolina but have been following some people over on Expedition Portal and wind can be an issue out in the desert. I have the baja rack with the screen mesh floor so I will lay a pad down on that and sleep on the roof when weather is good..if its windy I will sleep in the truck.

I can recommend the Baja rack. Well made and the install is painless. I packed away my wrenches many years ago so if I can install it anybody could. Only downside is the stock ladder will prevent the rear window from opening, sure you already know this but something I didnt consider, so I will be looking to get a RTT ladder to get on the rack. I use the rack for photography sometimes.

If it werent for the wind I would definitely get a RTT. I think for the Sierra's and coast it would be ideal.

For gas I will most likely get a couple of rotapax. One for gas and one for water. Will mount these on the roof rack. Gas was an issue when I was in Death Valley. I think I paid $6/gallon at Panamint Springs.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service