NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Finished 110V outlet install (x2!) & Bandi mount CB install

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  Here's a bit on the installs.

CB INSTALL

Used this thread for CB install.

Some lessons learned:

• Bandi nut is a little tricky to get on. Make sure you are in a well lit area and be prepared to have your patience tested. I ultimately had to buy new, smaller wrenches (narrower) so I could turn the bolt.
  • Bandi doesn't naturally co-exist with rear light guard. I had to modify (cut and paint) the rear light guard. Pretty easy with my Ryobi multi-tool and a can of Rustoleum.
  • Cleanest install is to take the antenna cable straight down from Bandi to the rubber boot ***ON*** THE REAR DOOR, and then feed cable up through boot, through the grommet on the truck body, and into jack compartment
  • routing wire from jack compartment to kick boards - shine a light into jack compartment, remove kick boards, unsnap rear driver side panel (one snap will do it), and push coat hanger through to the light.
  • easy to route cable under rubber flooring to center console. coat hanger, again - this time ran it from door to center console. used a pair of needle nose to fish it up. **this is how you avoid drilling!**
  • SWR tuning instructions say to turn it a quarter turn each time - that's good advice. :-), even if you have a massively high original reading (Read: don't over-adjust the antenna, or else you'll be in and out of the car about 94 times)
  • Supplied (w/ CB) rubber grommet in center console is really tough to get in. I tried a flat head screwdriver to get it set, but cut right through it... I ultimately used the round/"ball" end of an allen wrench. I do not think I will be taking the CB off too much b/c I don't trust that grommet. Very flimsy.
  • worth installing a 12v outlet in the center console first. I recommend the 12v outlet on right (more likely to be used by passenger) and CB on left (more likely to be used by driver) - so opposite of the original poster's setup.
  • the CB box then needs to be installed on the left (b/c of the length of the cable that connects to the CB radio). It fits perfectly behind the parking/e- brake. Instead of relying on mounting tape, which I think generally bites bone, I drove two screws through the center console wall to hold the box in place. They are low - below the seat's height - so they are invisible and more stable. Only screwed in the bottom as top of box actually nestles in snugly at the top.
  • great reception on weather stations, but haven't found much traffic on channels 1-40 (around town), which is disappointing and strikes me as a little weird... if my SWR didn't work, I'd think I fouled up the install. :-)
  • Couple pictures below

110V OUTLETS 

...And then finished the 110V outlet install.  It's pretty good - these pics make things look just a bit more scratched up than they are.  Not quite that "factory" look (one outlet is just slightly crooked, courtesy of my exacto knife cuts which were not so exacto).

Used this thread, and here are the insights:

• Ran 10 AWG from battery to jack compartment (through firewall grommet, under kick boards, behind rear driver side panel & into jack compartment)
    • Chose 10 AWG b/c of distance and relationship to resistance and heat.  Used these tables.
  • Stanley 500W inverter, mounted on wood and velcroed down in jack compartment (Fuse holder mounted on top of inverter)
  • Kicker inline fuse holder and 60A fuse
  • Grounded outlets and inverter in jack compartment
  • Cut holes and popped inverter outlets (which I'd previously removed) into panel above wheel well/top of jack compartment
  • Installed supplied yellow rubber outlet covers
  • Picture below

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Very cool! Nice job, congrats

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service