NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

3/22 - 3/26

Planning on mostly primitive camping (dry campgrounds or the side of the trail).

I have never been to Death Valley and am doing this quick trip to see some of the places I have always wanted to see. The trip is too short to see everything (or even 1%), but it's a start.

Anyone is welcome to join us. Insights, recommendations, etc. are welcomed as well. My plans below are flexible and are only an idea.

Friday

I will be leaving ~8AM from El Dorado Hills, going up Hwy 50 and then down 395.

Can also arrange meet up in Big Pine.

From Big Pine to camp at Eureka Dunes.

Saturday

From Eureka Dunes across Steel Pass into saline valley.

Stop and look at stuff.

Lippincott road to Racetrack Playa.

Camp at Homestake Dry Camp south of Racetrack. I want to overnight near Racetrack for best photography light, others may wish to stay in the Saline Valley.

Sunday

Back over Lippincott into the Saline Valley and down to Panamint Springs for gas.

Depending on time do one of the following:

1. South to go over Mengel Pass and camp at Striped Butte.

2. East to see the charcoal kilns and camp at Wildrose campground.

Monday

Coming from option #1 on Sunday:

Stop at Badwater.

Out to Beatty for gas.

Camp near Ryolite.

Coming from #2 on Sunday:

Out to Beatty for gas.

Run Titus Canyon.

Up to Ubehebe Crater.

Depending on time, backtrack to Mesquite campground, or try to push for a long day and camp in the Saline Valley.

Tuesday

Coming from #1:

Run Titus Canyon and head home via Death Valley Road to Big Pine.

Coming from #2:

Out Saline Valley via North Pass and head home, or from Mesquite campground, just head home via Death Valley Road.

Scott

Views: 334

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe I should have called it Valley Death March instead lol

I may be interested in going.

I hope someone is interested, even if they just want to do Steel Pass and then go on their own discovery of Death Valley, or meet up to do Mengel Pass.

If you haven't done so, this is a great source for off road information, I recommend the following books.

http://trackandtrailpublications.com/TandT/Home.html:

(1)  Death Valley SUV Trials

(2) Inyo-Mono SUV Trials

(3) Great Basin SUV Trails

There is so much to see there it is hard to suggest a starting point.

Check out this site too:  http://easternsierra4wdclub.com/

Be sure to check weather and road (trail) conditions before going to higher elevations during winter / spring.

Thanks,

I did not know about Track and Trail Publications; it looks like they may have a lot more info on the history and geology along the trails that the other books. I have the Wells socal book, and I have read every scrap of info I can find on the internet. I have found some good websites where people exchange info about current road conditions.

I'm interested in attending, but the wife will be close to 9 months pregnant at that point...she's due on 4-8

Don't do it. Trust me!

Hey this looks like a very good trip; you are surely VERY aggressive with times and all. To do what you described you will have to be very quick and drive a lot.

Some notes: after steel pass, you can get to the hot springs. Beware of the naturists playing baseball. That would also be a very picturesque camping location.Spending the night close to the racetrack can be VERY cold and windy. Make sure you have the right gear, check the forecast but do not rule out snow.

There is a wonderful cabin after Mengel pass and before striped butte. I advice to go and hike up to striped butte and then go back at the cabin for the night. That is one of the most beautiful places in DV.

In any case, what you describe should probably be done in more days or even two different trips.

Thanks for your info. Yes, Sunday is probably not realistic. Eureka Dunes to The Racetrack should be just about right with Eureka Dunes to the hot springs at about 3-4 hours, lunch at the hot springs, then continue on to The Racetrack. If those travelling with me would prefer to stay at the hot springs, then that would be a good option, since we could meet back up on the way to Panamint Springs. I want to camp at The Racetrack for the evening and morning light for photographic reasons.

I'm not too worried about the cold, as I have tested my gear in mid to low 20s, with warmth enough to probably be fine into the low teens. I have only tested my tent in 15-20mph winds, so that could be a problem, but I hope to park the FJ to block as much wind as possible. The loud noise of wind flapping the tent does make it difficult to sleep, and that is when the cabin would be nice...we'll see if it is unoccupied if we make it to Butte Valley.

This trip is basically a scouting trip...a quick lap around Death Valley to get a feel for it. If I enjoy it as much as I think I will, then I will make it an annual late-winter trip and start exploring small sections each year, taking my time to more thoroughly explore. Hopefully, next year I can take at least a week for the trip and explore a much smaller area. 

And please get at the top of the Eureka dunes. A fit person can get at the top in about an hour if I remember correctly, and it's very well worth it. Going down takes approximately 6 minutes :)

My first offroad trip to DV (solo)

http://www.manoweb.com/alesan/viaggi/deathValley200811/

Eureka dunes - Steel pass - Hot springs - Lippincot pass - Racetrak - Hike to Ubehebe peak - Cocomungo canyon

http://www.manoweb.com/alesan/montagna/DeathValley-20090213/

Ballarat - South Park - Mengel pass - Striped Butte

http://www.manoweb.com/alesan/montagna/DeathValley-2009/

Just a note...please allow 3-4 hours just for Titus Canyon.  It is about 26 miles but there are many areas along the way that will distract you.  Including Leadfield, the Petroglyphs, and definitely hanging out in the narrows section.  As you get to the other side you'll have to slow down even more for hikers.

My 8 year old grandson and I hiked to the top of the dunes two years ago.

You will have a great view from the top and there will be interesting "critter" tracks in the clean sand.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service