NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Been talking seriously about SAS my FJ and I was informed by someone that there was a certain model year that without a few different sensors up front the FJ goes "haywire". Gauges wont read and apparently the fj will barely run. I really dont think there is much merit in any of this but I figured I'd throw it out there and see. I know allpro's FJ's that they have done were 2007. Have not come across any 2008+

Any info would be great. I want to start collecting parts for this asap.

Jason

Views: 97

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The main change between the 2007s and the 2008 and beyond is the ABS sensors. It allows the use of ATRAC and the rear locker without having to hack it. 

You can SAS any model year it's only money, and no matter what year you will have a Christmas tree in lights. There is a bit of rewiring that will have to happen and I believe you will lose ABS, but that's the trade off for a SFA.

If you do it, spend the money and do it right the first time. Find some one who knows what theyre doing.

Ok, so i have to ask.. why would you want to SFA a vehicle like the FJ. Yes, i understand we all the love the FJ and SFA gives better off road performance, but at the same time, you might loose alot of what made you love the FJ in the first place. (Comfortable ride, decent handling for a truck etc.) A buddy of mine did this to his tacoma a few years back, and if he had to do it over again, he would have either bought a vehicle that came with SFA in the first place, or started with a much older vehicle.

Then there's the cost. The FJ is 30K by itself, then add another 10 to 15K for the swap. I could see if you had the truck for 15 yrs, but its an 08'. Not trying to be a negative nancy but... I just don't get it. Please help me out.

Ben straight axled his 08 white cruiser. D70 in the rear and D60 in the front.  Solid axle is way different than IFS.  I would recommend more research on the swap.
good question, but if you can afford it and want to do it...why not? i admit that it would be somewhat of a waste (for me) if i got it done, didn't wheel the crud out of it, and only used it as a daily driver. of all the miles i've put on my FJC, only 3% (or less) has been on trails = SFA is not for me considering i like the cush ride and so-so gas mileage as a daily driver. but, hey, if i could afford it...
If you can afford it, and you know what your getting yourself into then cool. Go for it. But the majority of SFA setups i've seen end up going up for sale within a year. After talking with some of the owners they admit (some, not all), that the off raod performance trade off was not worth the cost, or manerisims that came with it. I think alot of people don't realise this when they start the swap. Again, i understand if this were a 15+yr old truck you picked up for 5k. But one thats not even out of warranty that your just going to beat up anyhow... OH Well. Maybe i need to ride in one (SAF FJ) on some narly trails before i stick my foot in my mouth!

I think, quite honestly, that if you truly feel you need a SFA, look into a 93 - 97 FZJ80 Land Cruiser. It's the last, best year SFA Toyota brought into the US. Has the option of Elec Lockers front and rear. And can be had for less than the cost of the SFA conversion.

I've wheeled mine a lot. I've yet to run a trail where I felt I needed the SFA. But for those trails that I feel need it (Robicon), I have an FJ40. I was considering the FZJ80 prior to the FJ Cruiser's release for the load capacity, ride comfort and solid axle. But after driving the FJC on Rubicon in 2006 with the Trail Teams guys, I was convinced that it would work for the majority of what I do.

My only hold back on Rubicon is not the capability, but only my hesitance to take the inevitable body damage. Maybe a couple of more years.

Exactly.

This is why I bought a FJ60 and own a FJ40 and a couple people here have picked up 80's. The FJC is just too new and $$$ stil to comfortably mod in this way unless you were to buy a wrecked FJC to build up.

I agree that most trails that would benefit a SAS'd truck tend to be to narrow for the wide FJC and the sheet metal damage chance very high.

That being said I have seen up close and ridden in 2 SAS'd FJs and it was a lot of work and money, they both came out nice but they were well planned and a lot of money was spent. Sol's SAS's FJC is an amazing rig, but he spent a lot of time and money building it right. Tim Scully did another one that came out great but there have been a few issues that the transmission has had to be replaced a couple time.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service