NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hey guys, this is a repair I cannot do alone, even with my new toolbox :)

Do you think somebody helped me? 5and5torm helped me with some grease and silicone sealant to put "a patch" so I can drive around but I'd like to do the proper thing as soon as possible.

I have found what seem to be the instructions on the blue room.

Anybody can help me? Or, otherwise, can somebody advice a shop *that allows me to assist* to the procedure?

Thanks!!!

Views: 17

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

unfortunately, i doubt any shop will allow you to assist due to insurance reasons.
Well, but DeMello allowed me to stay there and even crawl under the truck to re-torque bolts, and the place Monica brought her car to be checked let me stay there all the time. What he wouldn't allow me is to work alone on the car or similar. Even at Les Schwab I asked to stay there when they were working so I could check the CV boot etc. I thought this was pretty common, isn't it?
I have attached the repair manual PDFs.
The instruction you posted look good, easier than in the manual.

You will need a torque wrench that will go up 174 ft/lb for the front axle hub nut when you put it back together.
Attachments:
Shops will often let you watch them work but they are liable if you are injured in their work area so most will not want you too close to what is going on. I have never found a shop that would let you assist in a repair as you will likely slow them down and time is money for mechanics.

If you want to learn, the best thing to do is hire someone like GRM or BZ to do the work and show you how it is done.
Sure that would be best. How do I proceed to hire the guys :)
how much is the boot? I bought a complete spare axle online for <110$ from parts train shipped to my door. If I was going to pay someone to replace the boot I'd probably replace the whole thing if it was only 100$ cuz labor is going to be way more and just alittle bit of sand will slowly grind up any moving parts in there. I pulled them both to put on my lift and again for new gears and locker, its a pain but not that hard, oh and your seal in the spindle could need to be replaced too, both of mine were bad at 2500 miles when i did the lift. I rented a stall with a hoist for a week to put the lift on but it was 600$, it took a couple hours asking around to find a slow garage that needed the business.. and it cost almost as much as paying to get it on but I learned alot..

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service