NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

So i'm at 91K and just got the 90K service done and the stealership says that my brakes need replacing and will gladly do it for me (just pads) for around $400. I said no way. So now I'm in the market for new brakes! I have 3mm on front pads and 5mm on rears and the rotors are not too far behind so I might as well replace them all at once. Does anyone recommend anything aftermarket? I do a lot of combination highway/city driving and try to get out and wheel at least once a month and will be more once I finish school. 

Thanks for the help!

Max

Views: 703

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thats a good deal but what is the eta on delivery? some time in 3030? 

I spoke with Jason directly.  He had them shipped out that same day.  I should have them either today, or early next week

Stay away from slotted or drilled rotors if you spend any time in the mud. 

x5 on the OEM rotors and pads.

no issues in mud besides who has time for mud?

ih8temud

iLOVEmud haha but my truck doesn't. Then again I never really go into the super nasty stuff.. 

I have been very happy with Power Stop as well. I always felt the stock brakes were adequate, but like Cowboy said the difference is apparent. My OEM rotors warped so I am giving the drilled / slotted rotors a try.

I bought mine through Jegs, they have online price matching and free shipping.

Power Stop K137-36
Truck and Towing Z36 Brake Pad & Rotor Kit
Cross-Drilled / Slotted Rotors
Z36 Metallic Brake Pads

RJ this goes for you as well, I've read some bad reviews about the power stop rotors warping within 10k miles, any issues? I found some off of rock auto and it'll come out to like $320 shipped (rotors and pads all 4 corners) which is a nice price

I have the TRD kit on my rig and love them... very pricy though! Rebuild cost $1,000 for pads and rotors.... If you are running oversize wheels and tires, the big brakes are a big plus... It takes a lot to slow the inertia of 36" tires and wheels!

Let me see your pictures of your rotors and pads!!!!

Get the Powerstop kit from Rock auto. The FJ has excellent brakes you don't need anything fancy.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1433267,parttype,13824

its about $320 shipped, and i've been looking at that one for a while just heard inconsistent reviews about it

I've personally installed at the least a dozen of those kits on various vehicles. I have yet to see one go bad. Most people don't even follow proper bed in procedure so I really question some of the opinions floating around out there and accordingly take them with a grain of salt. I honestly think you cant really do better in that price range.

Just for shits and giggles I priced what I personally would consider my second option. This comprised of Napa premium rotors ,and some good ceramic pads. Total came out to $355 + tax. I've seen more disparity in quality from Napas rotors however. 

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service