NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

UPDATE: The weather forcast is not looking good at all, it's now showing 60-70% chance of rain and thunderstorms for Friday and 40% for Saturday with the highs in the low 50's. There are a couple dirt hills to climb that will be REAL NASTY if they are wet.

I'm itchin to get some fishin in. Looking at going to the Barney-Riley Trail on 6/5-6/7, the trail isn't really hard, it's just long (9.4-10.25 miles) with lots of softball to basketball sized rocks and takes a few hours (2.5-3.5) to get to the Carson River from the trail head. I did this trail last Oct with Sonof40 and would like to get back up there, I missed getting a couple pitures at key trail forks for my trail write-up is one reason and the other is that there are many trail forks (and a second access trail to the river I didn't do) to explore besides the fishing on the Carson River. The trail can be sloppy if it's wet. Due to the rocks, I'd recommend having sliders and skids.

The trailhead is just off Hwy 89, 1.7 miles east from the intersection of Hwy 4 and Hwy 89, coordinates are N 38 39.9 W 119 41.8, Loope Canyon Rd. I plan on being at the trailhead between 12 and 1 pm. I'll call the ranger district office for the area mid week to make sure it's open.

GPX files are attached below, Barney-Riley1 is the easier but longer way, Barney-Riley2 is shorter but a bit harder and brushy, at the end of the main trail was a nice camping area right on the Carson River.

Tenative roster:
DaveF2
Sonof40
Cypilk (maybe)
PB'nFJ (maybe)

Views: 32

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been wanting to go there for a while but we are commited that weekend alerady. Have fun and take lots of pics :-). Looking forward to your trail write-up.
I've been wanting to check out Barney Riley for awhile now but I can't go on this round.
In ... I'll buy the food, you cook it? Say yes.
Ok, I'll say yes
I forgot to add this file, I downloaded the pdf map from jeepers.com and added a few notes to it. Basically, take the first 190B and go to road 306 for the shorter route, or go on to road 310, just follow it to the river. I don't have pic's of the hard parts and that is another reason why I want to go back.

Also, Here's a link to the californiajeeper.com trail description. From what I understand, you are NOT supposed to cross the river anymore, their write shows crossing the river, I'll try to get confirmation from the NFS on this when I call.
Attachments:
Nice.. I'd like to go, but i'm saving up to go to vegas the following week. If someone has extra space and doesn't mind, i'm up for a shotgun ride.
Esty, C4B, Cypilk and anyone else that can't make this run, don't worry, I like going up to this place and will be doing another trip or 2 up here this year. I'll get lots of pics this time and do a good trail writeup. Right now weather looks just ok, not great, scattered thunder storms might be in the area.
Good looking out. I'll try and get ready for the run.
Dave, i'll probably have to join you on one of your other trips. have fun!
I might be able to make this one, I'll update later in the week if I can go. When would you be hitting the trail, Friday morning?
I'll be leaving my area around 7-8 ish, about 4 hrs to the trailhead via hwy 4.
Ditto that. Hope you can make it Paul. Don't forget fishing licenses.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service