NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Barney Riley - Dear Valley - Strawberry July 10, 11 , 12

I'm putting together a run July 10, 11, 12. The itinerary is to do Barney-Riley friday, deer valley saturday and finish up the weekend with the Strawberry trail on Sunday. I haven't done any of these trails so I hope someone who has done them (and/or who has a gps) is interested in coming along. A few people I have talked to are interested in day trips, so as in other runs - meet up with us when you can! Plans for campgrounds and rendezvous points/times to come.

Updated Roster:
Fri (Farmington 10am)
Bkreece
DaveF2
Pkelly
Mrs. Bozly
PBnFJ
Potato
Vaughn
5an5torm

Sat (Hermit Valley CG):
SBechtold
Motordrive
OPG

Sun (Gas station near Kirkwood):
DHeigher
Estysalinas

ITINERARY:
Friday - 10:00-10:15 Meet up in Farmington at the corner of Hwy 4 and Escalon Belotta Rd (13 miles east of stockton). Caravan to Barney Riley trail head. ETA at Barney Riley is about 1:00. We will take BR inbound and camp at the end.

Saturday - 12:00 meet up at the Deer Valley trailhead. 9 miles east of Alpine Lake at the Hermit Valley Campground. On Saturday night we will be camping somewhere along Red-Blue Lakes Trail.

Sunday - 10:00 Meet up at the gas station, just east of the entrance to Kirkwood. Depart for the Strawberry Pass trail by 10:15.

We will be on CB 31 and FRS 7-31

Views: 115

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Camping and rendezvous points/times:

FRIDAY: For those headed up friday, lets meet in Farmington at 10:00-10:30am. Farmington is the first town you come to on Hwy 4 after you have left stockton. After the stop sign there is a small store on the right and a dirt lot on the left. we can meet in the dirt lot. From there it should take us about 2.5 hrs to get to the Barney Riley trail head. I figure we can run BR inbound and camp at the end (jeepers says there are camp sites at the end near the river). Saturday morning we can return to pavement and head towards the deer valley trail.

SATURDAY: We will meet at the Deer Valley trail head at 12:00 for those coming up for just saturday and sunday. The deer valley trail head is 9 miles past lake alpine at the hermit valley CG. DaveF2 says that this trail will take us 4-5 hrs. Jeepers trail map shows a campground near Lower Blue Lake that would be convenient for saturday night, but if anyone who is familiar with the area has any suggestions, please post!

SUNDAY: On sunday morning we will meet up at the gas station on 88 just east of the kirkwood entrance (its on the north side of the rd) at 11:30-12:00. Looks like Strawberry pass will take us 3 hrs. The trail head is at the caltrans station 1.7 miles east of caples lake resort.

If there are any suggestions for revised rendezvous points/times or camp sites, please post.
The campgrounds around Blue Lakes are pretty popular, if you go thru the campgrounds and past upper Blue Lake you find the start of Red-Blue lakes trail, there are several camping areas along here, some around Lost Lakes dam and further up near Forestdale Creek. At the Blue Creek water crossing is an area to camp, this would be south of Lower Blue Lake

Also there are camping areas at the south end of Strawberry Pass trail according to the Wells book.

The 4-5 hrs for Deer Valley is including the Red-Blue lakes trail, basically from Hwy 88 all the way to Hwy 4.
It would be nice to start earlier on Sunday, so those that have a a couple hours drive home can get back earlier.
I agree!
Yea, i thought people might wanna get an earlier start...we can pretty much start when ever on sunday, we just need to post a meeting time as we have at least on person coming up for just the strawberry trail. How's 10am? Earlier/Later?
10 works for me. I am pretty close to the trail so I could deal with earlier as well..
I'm going to try to make it to this one. I will probably have to work friday until 1pm, I'll get to the area Friday afternoon/evening.
Hey Mark pm us. Jo and I are also gonna be leaving Oakland at around1pm.
Maybe we could get to the trail head together?
if i go, i'll be skipping out on the sunday run.
Potato, I hope you can join us on friday and saturday!
Thanks for the interest in this run everyone. I appreciate all the feedback on the itinerary!
I think I will make it on my way to Moab and the FJ Summit for Sat and Sunday.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service