NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Currently have Baja Radial TA's (bought the truck used and theory were on it) but can't seem to warrant the $700 each to replace... 

Looking for a 35 12.5 17 what are your suggestions... Nitto? Yokahama? Cepek? Others?

We do mostly dirt roads, mud, minor obstacles 

Thanks!! BigBlu

Views: 394

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yea it's a while, but I have to keep it in mind, getting ready for college makes money tight! I just enjoy being prepared. But 35's are just so tempting... I'll probably end up with them and a BMC. Thanks for all the insight!

Of course brother, I'm just finishing up college so I know the budget issues haha

I've had Micky Thompson MTZ's and BFG KM2's and loved both of them.  Both aggressive looking but quiet!

The current model MT/Rs are the best I have ever used, and I have had them all.

Okay gang I've settled on the Pro Comps with the 40k warranty... now Mud Terrain or All Terrain? MTR or ATR?

Go with the Mud Terrains! 

X-ATR, MT's in CA is just silly. 

Actually I'm leaning towards the MT. Our daughter is at Cal Poly so Oceano is a viable camping option of us. My Baja TAs don't air down and are not much use in sand and mud.... I'm looking for a better off road tire, and the MT carry the same 40k warranty so why not? 

Make me a case Mr. PhoS... I'm listening.

Thank you all for your input!

Well...

An A/T is actually preferable in the sand because they tend to float rather than dig like an MT. The AT is going to superior when talking road driving, wear, handling, and noise.

Personally, I don't experience enough deep mud to justify the full MT and usually drive some distance on the road to get the trails so I went with the Cooper ST maxx which is an AT/MT blend. They're turning out to be great tires for me so far :) They replaced Firestone ATs I had before which were mindblowing in the sand. From the looks alone I didn't the the AT was going to hook up but it was a total non-issue.

So I guess you need to weigh how much mud you will actually be encountering vs. road, sand, and how much noise you're willing to put up with. If you do go with the MT make sure you rotate them regularly or they will wear funky and procomp will not honor a warranty for this. 

Pro comps original ATs were awesome (pro comp stopped making them) as far as what you should get that is up to your preference. I agree with PhoS the AT are better in sand. I have had both MT and AT i prefer the MT mostly because i play in the rocks and loose stuff and from my experience the MT hold better. Ive played in the sand with the MTs and only dug in trying recover people... You can google tire ratings and compare the two and base your decision on the tire that meets your needs

Well there you go thank you! ATs it is... 

If you get them at 4wheel parts install them else where 4wheel parts sucks at installing tires

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service