NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Name: Corral Hollow
Trailhead: N38 27.42' W120 03.11'
Level: Easy - Moderate
Camping: Along the trail (dispersed - at least five are available), Sand Flat Four-Wheel Drive (dispersed), Wa Ka Luu Hep Yo (developed), Big Meadow (developed), Stanislaus River (developed)

The trailhead (approximately 0.5 miles west of Bear Valley) is rather non-descript from Highway 4. Once found, there is a small parking area with a sign.

The trail begins with grooves and becomes bumpy soon thereafter.

Pools of water can be found right off the trail during spring runoff.

The trail then begins to wind through tight passages of granite boulders and tree stumps.

The trail then smoothes out gradually and at approximately 1.6 miles into the trail, mule's ear begin to appear in abundance.

And soon, you will find yourself between acres of mule's ear.

Shortly after leaving the meadow of mule's ear, you will encounter a steep climb over loose rock.

Interesting trees line the trail.

In less than 0.5 miles, you will reach the top of the ridge.

At approximately 2.8 miles into the trip, you will encounter a wire gate. Be sure to close it once everyone is through. The last time we did the trail, the gate was broken and left open.

After the gate, you will come up on a campsite. This is a good area for lunch and can accommodate several rigs. Nice views of the valley can be had.

Snow can block the trail at the top of the ridge into June.

The trail winds along the ridge before slowly descending into Bear Trap Basin. Bear Trap Cabin can be found here.

The cabin is used primarily as an emergency shelter and is stocked with furniture and mattresses up stairs. There is a guest book to sign as well.

The cabin can be rather dark upstairs and may conjour up spooky thoughts.

Contact the forest service in advance if you plan to stay at the cabin.

The trail after the cabin becomes easier as it winds through meadows and spurs.

You will eventually reach Cabbage Patch Road, a wide gravel road that leads back to Highway 4.

Resources:
1) Guide to Northern California Backroads & 4-Wheel Drive Trails by Charles A. Wells
2) Backcountry Adventures: Northern California by Peter Massey and Jeanne Wilson
3) High Sierra SUV Trails Volume II by Roger Mitchell

4) California Camping by Tom Stienstra

Views: 2501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WOW Great pics!! looks like alot of fun and good looking trails.. Looks like we have a lot of interested for this one..
Each trail description will serve as a living document and more detailed information (e.g. mileage, coordinates/waypoints, etc.) will be added as it becomes available. Updated: Added trail book resources links. Enjoy the trails!
i will be taking more notes and photos along the trails to help populate the trail descriptions.
Nice description. You sold me, when is it?
that would be the weekend of august 22-24 at corral hollow.
Yeah this is one that I have to make.. The wife has to work on Friday so I might either have to fly solo or come in the night . Looking forward to this run...
Man, this is exactly what I had in mind when I thought of writing a trail information thread!

Good Job!
pucker, the trail descriptions will be living posts with more detailed information being added each time someone hits the trail. the most obvious omission so far is mileage and a map (Google Earth/Maps overlay), which we are hoping to get on the next run. eventually, all this information will be consolidated into a printable .pdf that members and visitors can print out and take with them on the trail. cheers, mon!
I can't wait for this run it's going to be pretty fun.. Potato nice job on the
descriptions on each image.

Do you need a permit to camp here, or just for fire. Thanks!

no permit required unless you plan to stay at the cabin. fire permit, yes, but as mentioned in your campfire permit thread, you'll need to be aware of the fire conditions as severe levels will cancel out your ability to have a campfire. hope that helps. also, if all the dispersed camping on the trail is taken, there are plenty of campsites in the area to choose from.

btw, not sure when you were thinking of doing this trail, but it may already be snowed in. if it isn't, please be sure to be prepared for a sudden change in the weather...don't want to get snowed in or caught at the summit during a storm.

Thanks potato. I wonder if I can get here this weekend? Thoughts?

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service