NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Hello everyone,

Need some help with CEL (Check Engine Light) and TRAK light coming on the FJ a couple days ago. 2012 FJ, 70k miles, daily driver.

CEL went on as I started the FJ in the morning. Put a code reader on it and it gave me a P0304 code which is a misfire on #4 cylinder. I was looking on the internet a bit to help me identify where the #4 cylinder is and I have come up with the following:

5     6

3     4

1     2

FRONT

Can someone confirm that I have the layout correct?

I pulled the Denso plug out of cylinder #4, tested on a multimeter and sure enough it appears that the plug is bad. Purchased a new Denso spark plug (same OEM), gapped it to .040 (within Toyota spec), applied anti-seize to threads, placed it in cylinder #4, replaced ignition coil, reconnected battery... started her up...  cleared codes and CEL... ran about a minute then the CEL returned with a P0304 code.

-So #4 plug is good, coil is unknown, plug wires is unknown, fuel injectors are unknown.

I then disconnected the battery again... removed #4 ignition coil and swapped it with the #2 ignition coil... reconnected battery... cleared codes and CEL... ran about a minute then the CEL returned with the same P0304 code. Code did not return with a P0302 which would have meant the ignition coil was bad.

-So #4 plug is good, coil is good, plug wires unknown, fuel injectors are unknown.

Before I go back out and check on the plug wires...does anybody have any tips that might help me trouble shoot the plug wires? I'm pretty sure I can't replace a bad fuel injector myself and will need to send it a mechanic but, I want to eliminate the wires from the possible problems.

John

Views: 596

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This falls under the emissions warranty.

Thanks for the reply!

I'll try the dealer first in the morning but, I had thought the emissions warranty was only good till 50k.

They were different for different years, but yours should be 100k. Cats, O2s, coil packs, injectors, ECMs, etc is all covered.

Thank you again... my FJ is at the dealer now. Will report back findings.

Well... that was... interesting.

Dealer just called back... yes, #4 cylinder is bad, coil is probably bad, and injector is probably bad.

Why?

Apparently, my engine bay was a nice home to some rodents and they chewed on cables pretty badly. Estimate is over $1000... dealer assures me that this type of damage should be covered by my insurance... Will call AAA now.

smdh.... rodents?!?!

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service