NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Oil......

What can I say its one of those items that us wheelers connot do with out. Our truck are full of it, its in the Engine, Axels, Transmissioin, Transfer case (sometimes x 2 ). I would venture to say that we all carry several gallons of oil in our truck and spare oil we bring just to operate our trucks. There is also several other different types of chemicals that we carry in our trucks, Engine collant, Brake fluid, Power steering fluid. Most of this can be considerded a petrolium product of some sort. Bottom line here is that all of this oil does great thing while in out trucks, but falling onto the ground is where the issue starts and can be one of the main reasons trails are closed.

One way to prevent this is with a spill kit. A spill kit is something that should be standard gear in everyones truck before they go out on trail. If you do spil oil on the trail a spill kit will minimize the damage done to the ground. Getting as much of the oil from the ground or preventing it from hitting the ground in the first place is key. There are several different types of kits out there, Most can be $$, but these can be good to get everything that you need all at once. I am planning on doing some research to provide some options for kits and I will post that up here.. A good spill kit should have at LEAST: 1 container ie, some kind of container or bucket to hold oil, several absorbant pads flat and round, several garbage bags, plastic gloves. Your basic mind set should be how can I contain the oil dripping out. Second, how can I prevent it from spreading, Finally, how can I clean up the mess from the ground. Its really important to clean up as much oil as you can and pack it all out. SO this brings me to my question..... How many of us have a spill kit that we carry on trail ???? Here is an example of what I am talking about:

http://www.uline.com/BL_7013/Universal-Spill-Kit?pricode=WM248

Interested in spill kits:

Bozly's

BK

Pkelly

Engin Jen

Potato

PB 

5AND5TORM

Boss73

Views: 37

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

sounds good, let me know when and anything I can do to help.
a box of 200 gloves is $8 at HF.
the folding sink will be a good addition to my camping supplies.
Count me in.
Thank you for posting this, Boss!
Let's define exactly what we need in this kit and I'll check into what it will take to get everything.
something to soak up any spilled fluids and a container to catch any leaking fluids
I think I have two boxes of rubber gloves I can donate.
...i won't ask. :-)
Yes I can get together exactly what I carry in the sack. This is exactly what we did at MTA ( ie buy in bulk and divide into smaller kits ) and it worked out great. We were able to pack everything into a small stuff sack that fits nicely in the truck.. WE also have enough left over for refills when used the kit is used.

On of the ideas behind this is that it really sucks to pay around $50.00 for a spill kit and then have to use it for someone else's spill. Not that wouldn't use it to help someone out, but that can get expensive after a while. So by having a group get together and purchase in bulk, it will cut down on the cost for everyone and there should also be enough left over for refills when they are used. This way everyone wins and the oil will always get cleaned up.. I wil get the pic up today as I should be slow at work.. (Last day of the year for me )
Here is the bag that carries my gear.

Here is what is inside of the bag. 1 Tube absorbant pad, 6 square absorbant pads, 1 folding sink, 1 trash bag, 1 pr of gloves

Here is the Sink

nice Boss, ya wanna start a roster of those interested.

the Outback Folding Porta-Sink is $12.95 at http://www.hotcampshowers.com/inc/sdetail/739

ULINE Sorbents
15" x 19" Pads, quanity 100 $69.00
42" Socks, quanity 40 $68.00
We (MTA) were able to fin an entire bluk suppy with everything included. I will have to see where we got it from.

That is a good idea if anyone is interested in pooling money together to get some spill kits post up and I will get a list started.

I like Bozly's offer to have them delivered to his shop and then we can have a BBQ spill kit party.. Details will be worked out and a dte wil be set..

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service