NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

Well after many years of wanting to build my own OBHS heat exchanger i finally did.As i found out it was alot harder then i anticipated.After many designs in my head and on paper and after building 6 prototypes and testing.I setteled on one that i was really happy with.As i found out real soon copper is really expensive :( But the results are well worth it for me.The heat exchanger is made out of 2" copper tubbing and is 12" long and has 20' of tubbing inside the 2" tube.The water has to pass 3 times inside the 2" copper tube before it goes out to the shower head.That is only running the water thru the heat exchanger only once.I spliced the OBHS exchanger using the bottom hose coming out of the FJ heater.The OBHS exchanger heats supply water 59F up to 120F with the FJ at only 1500rpm.Still working on a flip up shower arm from my ARB bumper.Let me know what you guy's think

Views: 1795

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes but the alternative (what I do now) are two 6gal canisters that I keep in the cargo area. Being those canisters "tall" maybe the "sloshing" effect is probably reduced, but the inconvenience to have them inside is great.

The tank josh is using is intended for RV use. It has internal baffles designed to minimize sloshing and weight transfer.

Yes but where to mount thayt kind of tank on the FJ? It really seems a good thing. By the way I've found that water tank on Amazon for about 60$, not a bad price I think, if I could only find a place where to mount it...

Don't forget the kit for the weldment fittings.

Well there is much more to the tank of course, for example the piping, mounts, etc

I have looked at this tank in the past and thought about mounting under the back of the FJ. It looks to me like it would fit if the charcoal canister was relocated as josh is doing.

Interesting, but I do not think that would be compatible for a more important aux tank. I can avoid showering for a few days but having gas is too important.

Nice write up Josh. Lots of good info - will stay tuned to your post @ EP. Keep the info coming.
Cool set up josh post when you finish. If you live close to campbell area let me know if you need any help with the install.

im up in pleasant hill, sooo far away (sad face) i would love to join heads on someone more experience than me in this mod

But I live in Hayward, if it can be considered "central" we could meet at my place, there is space for 5 rigs no problem.

here is a update i forgot to post on expo

got stuff done...

finally finally finished moving the charcoal canister. that thing is a PITA!! its mounted really secure and all lines are hooked back up

[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/chevelle02/Wheelin/file-237.jpg[/IMG]

the new 12 gallon tank is fitted now. a lot more room for me to plumb. i will probably mount the pumps on the rear of the tank for easy access. i changed my mind once again about how i want the cross members. I'm thinking of welding a gusseted "L" bracket (4) 2 on each side on the inside of the frame that drop down ever so slightly. the i can have two cross members just bolt to the brackets so they are completely removable. i think this will be the easiest way to mount up the tank and remove if needed

heres the tank

[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/chevelle02/Wheelin/file-867.jpg[/IMG]

space for plumbing lines and pump

[IMG]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j124/chevelle02/Wheelin/file-1262...[/IMG]

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service