NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

High Sierra Run 2011

September 19-25 (Monday - Sunday)

Level: Easy - Moderate

Event Page: High Sierra 2011

Comms: FRS/GPRS (7-31); CB (31); Ham (see below)

For 2m: 146.460 no tone for simplex.

For 70cm: The main repeater is CARLA 22 which is on a mountain top out of Hawthorne 

• 440.725+ 
  • Local tone 127.3(should be used around camp) 
  • Link 156.7 (transmits on the entire system 30 repeaters)

The back up repeater is CARLA 18 over at Topez Lake

• 443.475+
  • Local tone 110.9
  • Link 167.9

On the drive up CARLA 17 should cover most of the drive on the west side.

• 443.475+
  • Local 103.5
  • Link 151.4

it is the time of year to enjoy the splendor of the High Sierra. 

now in its 5th year, the High Sierra Run is the perfect vacation for those who enjoy the scenery, recreational activities and relaxation that the Eastern Sierra has to offer.

as always, this run only has a couple pre-scheduled runs and follows a "come and go as you please" format. each year, some folks go on exploration runs, while others go fishing, hit the natural hot springs, or hiking. this year, we've extended the run to a full week and you can plan your arrival and departure as you wish.

NorCal FJ Code of Conduct is in effect on this and all NorCal FJ runs.

Trail Run Schedule
Mon-Wed: impromptu runs...organize morning of or other activities
Thursday: TBD
Friday: TBD
Saturday: Kavanaugh Ridge - Bodie

Other Activities

• National Public Lands Day: Free admission to Yosemite and Devil's Postpile on Saturday,September 24. We also usually conduct a thorough cleaning of our campsite as a way to do our part. If you are interested in volunteering more, there is a hiking trail that leads to some remote lakes that could use some basic maintenance, such as moving rocks off the trail and cutting away at any shrubbery that has overgrown.
  • 7th Annual Oktoberfest at Mammoth Village: May be worth checking out for a couple hours. While you are at it, you can use the free showers near Devil's Postpile.
  • Eighth Annual “Yosemite Facelift” Volunteer Event
  • Natural hot springs
  • Fishing
  • Photography
  • Stargazing (there are some nice meadows a short, flat hike from our campsite

FAQ 

Q: What do I need to bring?
A: Bring what you would normally bring camping. Tent, sleeping bags, etc. Pack for cold weather! It has reached into the mid-20s overnight on past runs. This is a base camp-style run meaning we will always return to camp after activities. For driving, bring whatever recovery equipment you have (standard practice). If you have any additional spare parts, it's always a nice-to-have for the trails. High Sierra trails do not exceed the moderate rating.

Q: This is my first time wheeling. Can I do High Sierra?
A: Yes, but you should know how to operate your vehicle on uneven off-highway roads.

Q: Can I do the trails stock?
A: Yes. Most trails are easy.

Q: I have no rear locker or ATRAC...can I do the HIgh Sierra runs? 
A: Yes.
Q: Where are we camping?
A: We will be camping south of Mammoth Lakes. Campsite coordinates will be sent via PM to all attendees.

Q: What's the toilet situation at the campsite?
A: There are no pit/flushing toilets where we camp. We recommend you bring your own PETT/Luggable Loo (environmental toilet). We do not recommend digging around the campgrounds as everything is within 200 ft. of a water source.

Q: What is the food & beverage situation?
A: It is bring your own. However, you are encouraged to team up with others on some meals to prevent wasted foodstuffs and to help cut down on budget. Feel free to use this discussion thread to discuss food management or PM is good as well. Mammoth Lakes is nearby and offers a variety of restaurants and cafes if needed.

Q: Should I bring firewood? Are fires allowed? Are fire permits needed? 
A: Yes, yes and yes. Firewood is also available in Mammoth Lakes, but is always a little pricier. Fire restrictions will be reported the week prior to the run. We will have one or two fire permits with us, so that should be good enough. However, having a fire permit is always recommended because you just never know when you'll want to head out camping. You can fax in your information for a campfire permit. Here is the link to access the .pdf California Campfire Permit request.

Q: Is there cellular signal at the campsite?
A: Yes, as of last year Verizon customers had signal at camp. AT&T customers had to have line of sight to Mammoth Lakes. Other carriers unknown. Needless to say, you can be within cell range within 5-10 minutes.

Q: Is this a family-friendly run?
A: As with any NorCal FJ run, yes. However, if you feel uncomfortable having children around alcohol at the main campsite, there are secluded sites available.

Q: Are there bears near the campsite? 
A: Although we have not seen a bear in the area in three years, you are always responsible for items that you leave out that may attract bears. Always err on the safe side and pack away your food. We have seen bears at a developed campsite and on one of the trails. 

Q: Is there a campsite fee?
A: No. It is dispersed/undeveloped camping, so there is no fee. If, by some long shot, we need to move to a developed campground, then you will be responsible for paying fees onsite.

please feel free to ask any questions (via this thread or via PM) that were not covered here.

Views: 2260

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

great job writing this up!
thanks! are you going to make it this year?
i know i can't get the time off to do it all...but i'm gonna see what i can do to get up there for some of it atleast....when the time comes for PM-ing coordinates can you include me?..thanks
of course! hope you can make it, but if not...there's always next year.
btw, i forgot to mention that there is some bit of organization that takes place throughout the run in terms of activities. we usually have small groups who get together to discuss plans over a campfire. over the years, we've had activities such as fishing, trail exploration, hot springs seekers, etc. this year, i think we'll have a photography group as well. if you are interested in participating in an activity, post up here or bring it up over a campfire.
is that a perfectly round hamburger patty in the bottom picture? looks tasty!
Yes but it has been processed.
it was a gift for PB.
The bear left me that gift in front of my FJC, not sure what it meant.
perhaps it thought PB stood for Poo Bear.

Poo with a view?

: )

Just a short FYI regarding the camp site, the meadow that a couple people camped in last year has been re-posted "no vehicles."  This is at the end of the trail in what used to be called the quiet area (I think it lost that title last year).  You could still camp out there but parking would be out of the way because of the access on that road.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service