NorCal FJs

FJ Cruisers of Northern California

I have a really old, non-updateable Garmin that would see most FS fire roads but not all. Time for something better, I thought. I am now returning a brand new tomtom VIA 1535 that does not see fire roads by name/number at all.

Any ideas for good off-road gps? I would also like to be able to store co-ordinates and load trail co-ordinates from other people.

Thanks everyone,

Steve Hope.

Views: 207

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I will check it out, once I get my Nexus 7, since my current Android tablet has major GPS receive issues and I can't even try it out with out using mock locations.

I really want to pick up the new nexus 7 but have been holding off because after the release i had read about some issues with the GPS dropping out and having to reboot. The problem my have been fixed now and if so i will be upgrading.

I'm waiting for the cellular radio model to come out since I like to have a prepaid sim available for data when on a trip. 

Should be available sometime this month hopefully.

Hey many thanks people, lots of info to digest. I don't have an ipad so motion-x is out? what about working with iphone? I always thought there would be no cell service out on the trails so how would iphone system work?

defo interested in "backcountry navigator" will look into that .

Thanks again,

Steve Hope

Since selling my iPad, I now use the Motion X GPS (non-HD) iphone version. You download the maps locally. GPS signal is available almost everywhere on the planet, it's the data that you lose on the trails. That's why you d'load them before you leave on your WiFi. Works great, especially with a nice dash mount.

I think that will be my next research tool, thank you all for great input.

Steve Hope

I just did a presentation on GPS and the theory of relativity if you're actually interested in how the services work haha, but simply GPS does not require cell coverage to work, 2 different systems (although GPS may use your cell phones internal sim card to triagulate you if line of sight with the GPS satellites is unavailable.) Best of luck choosing a path. I might try out that backcountry navigator as well..

Also has anyone tried map my hike app? I don't know if it picks up the offroad trails.. but worked for hiking.. just curious.

Dedicated devices like a Garmin of course do not need cell coverage since the mapping is loaded into the device itself.

Now for Android or iOS devices it's a little different. The GPS chipsets do not need network coverage to work, however if you are using the built in mapping or even a 3rd party application you will need to have a data connection to continue to get live mapping data. Unless you are using a application like Backcountry Navigator (Android) or Motion X (iOS) or Google Maps offline mode (both) that allows you download or cache map areas to your device to use when you are out of network coverage. You will not have a map to look at, you will just see a gray screen with no map data. You do need to plan ahead to make sure you preload before you hit the trail or find a coverage spot that will allow you to update if you forgot.

The problem with Map My Hike or My Tracks is that they are dependent on the data network to provide the map data to your phone. They will record your GPS track without any issues. I use Map My Ride when I cycle to record where I've ridden and a lot of time I don't have good cell coverage. 

Very informative, good to know... appreciate the reply! Turned out to be a pretty awesome thread. TIL.

RSS

Badge

Loading…

NorCal FJ Twitter Feed

The NorCal FJ Shop

The Black Bear Bag
Use it for school, as a bug-out bag, or for your spy gear that only you know about.

SHOP NOW!

NorCal FJ Network Status

© 2024   Created by NorCal FJs.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service